Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Something magical happened to end 2006. It should have been a rough time for a kid with bad circulation and long fingers. The sun turned in early for the year, leaving us alone to battle the cold and dig our way out of the snow that fell once and then fell again. All we could do was brave the icy streets to lay under blankets and watch familiar movies. 2006 left me with so few tangible things. The strange tingle of old endings that can't help but be followed by the familiarity of new beginnings. If the snow seemed like overkill, it was. but the beauty wasn't in the white. It was the tracks we managed to leave.

All I'm really trying to say is it's funny how people and places can skate into your life and slide back out again without leaving much behind. Not a sock or a photo or a gift or a hair tie. As the curtain started to come down on 2006 and everything looked to be exactly where I had left it years before. It was all the same. Or nearly the same, save the footprints in the snow. the tracks running right up to my front door, nit my life, around my head and down to my heart.

And as if that weren't enough, I was standing outside shoveling snow and my hands were warm. My hands are never warm. If this is any sign of things to come we all have plenty to look forward to.

2007
A New Draft.
A New Direction.
A New Warmth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home