Tuesday, November 07, 2006


It's the first Tuesday in November and today I cast my electronic and completely insecure vote. The nice lady at the sign in table asked me to use one of the newer machines because they don't leave "lots of papers and pages to go through later." Greeeeaaaat. So I pushed my buttons and moved the green arrows to the boxes for senators and judges and referendums. Then I pushed the red buttons and all the lights disappeared.

I grew up under a democratic roof in a republican neighborhood. I wouldn't blame the people here for continuing to vote republicans. Everyone has nice houses in a comfortable neighborhood with well paved streets and no crimes. There are rules about what color you can paint your house, there are SUV's in almost every garage and a parade and party every 4th of July. Life is good, no one has been sent to Iraq and people's stock portfolios are going up. If I were voting solely on protecting my own little place in the world I'd probably have voted differently.

But as the green arrows fell, I ended up voting for a democratic senator, a democratic governor, a republican congressman, a republican sheriff and coroner, and an independent for the board of our state's university. Sure I love life around here. But if I've learned anything this year it's that the world isn't as big as we think. So I shut up and vote my mind hoping that these people can put half the effort into changing things that they put into digging up dirt for their ad bashing.

I've got a lot of respect for people on both sides of the aisle. A little balance does a lot of good. Sure there are plenty of crazies out there. All of them are loud and all of them are the first ones to see and bee seen. But I know that most of us sit a little closer to the middle. We all want our streets to stay safe and our gas to keep flowing. We want to take a vacation and retire and enjoy everyday. And we all want to make the rest of the world a little better, one piece at a time. I know we're all out there. I think everything will work out, as long as we don't give up. Can't wait to see what happens.

2 Comments:

Anonymous dbhayes said...

amen, bother! amen!

7:32 PM  
Blogger oligofree said...

::Questions I Answers::

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home