Tuesday, October 31, 2006


Some days you're the bird and some days you're the statue. I don't know how I had never heard this little nugget of golden genius before today but I'm happy to say that It'll be sticking around for a while. Unfortunately my mind has a way of losing track of so many details. There's plenty of smart people in the world and there's plenty of different types of smart but I think most of them can be categorized in one of two ways. Either you're an archiver or you're a creator. Some lucky souls are both, (and one day my sister will find out that I hated her for getting to be one).

I was lucky enough to find myself under a roof with one of each. My father is the ultimate archiver. I recognized his talents early in life. His ability to store so much in his head and recall it all so easily with a just a slight squint of the eyes. Sure I was an early one to use and understand the words and the emotions but no matter how hard I tried I could never match up the the brain I started referring to as the mosh pit of knowledge. To me that image made so much sense. For me it was all up there in a big jumble mashing up against one another. But in reality I think his was much more like an beautifully organized filing cabinet.

My mother always seemed to be a step behind the mosh pit. But there were these little moments of brilliance. When everything came together in a new way that none of us had though of before. I learned that there was something to be said for constantly forgetting and re-learning so much of life. Instead of becoming grounded and paralyzed by what they've seen, these people keep plotting new courses, changing directions, and shifting their aim to hit new targets every day. I tried to hard to be an archiver but eventually I gave in. I'll create. I'll forget. I'll make things up. I'll imagine. And I'll surround myself with a couple archivers just for good measure. Hopefully at least one of us will always be the bird. Otherwise I'll just have someone around to clean things up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home