Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Dear Mrs. Pearson, my 9th and 10th grade spanish teacher,
Thank you. I'm sorry if I was a jerk to you and mocked the fact that at one point you were an NFL cheerleader but everything you taught me is finally coming in Handy. I'm not in Mexico and I'm not in Sotuh America and I'm not in Spain. I'm in Morocco in Africa and I've left my travelling companions in Europe and I'm totally alone. Barely a soul here speaks english and the few who are willing in these small towns to speak something other than spanish are muttering an ever so slight bit of spanish.

For an ex-chearleader like yourself I would not recommend this place. It's hot, it's different, people try to hustle you in the big cities and the toillets, I don't even want to talk about the squatting situation. All I ever wanted to do on this trip was get away from cell phones. But then, realizing the impossibility of this, I wanted to get away from those little white earbuds. I can assure you that not a single on of the children begging on the streets nor the market men in the Medina have then (unless they stole the ipod which I keep vigilently in my zippered pocket). This is as close to the Islamic world as a man like me could ever voluntarily go. I was awoken last night to the sound of prayer. I have admired the beauty of women hidden in vails. I have a man standing outside this internet cafe with his mouth nearly watering as he stares at me and imagines the amount of Dirham he thinks are in my pocket. He would be surprised to find that it is actually very few.

This is not spanish class Mrs. Pearson. This is definitely not Spain or Mexico or South America. But that is why I am here. Not for a vacation but for an adventure. Lets just hope I make it through.

Adios y grcias,
Tayden (but you will probably remember me as Pablo)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you wanted to get away from the white ear buds... why did you bring yours with?

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home