Thursday, February 23, 2006

It's late here in Italy but I just haven't been able to get myself to bed. Today was one of my last hopes for a major win from an unknown american, but what happened even I couldn't have predicted. The snowboard parallel giant slalom course at Bardonechia is a flat one and a simple one. The soft snow has slowed down the pace of the action and everyone knew that the ruts from the racers tracks would make it a bumpy ride for the lighter riders. My darkhorse was an american girl from and italian family who knows how to feed her right. She was big, she was strong, and she could power down a soft course like this at wild speeds.

But as I sat down in the finish area and watched Safeway girl make international friends by handing out some packets of gushers fruitsnacks (I suggested she steal some from her store before we left), something amazing happened. A quiet girl from the 50th state started winning. And she didn't stop. It takes ten runs to get a medal in the snowboard PGS, and for 9 of them Rosey Fletcher, the daughter of a truckdriver with a cute smile and american flag bandana around her neck, touched perfection.

If three olympics aren't enough to say "I tried my hardest" then I don't know what is. The olympics are about living with a passion that most of us only dream about. A passion so thick here in Torino you can taste it in the air... Or maybe that's just the Fiat plant down the road.

My last hope is that young gun Ted Ligety can throw down for a gold medal sunday in the skiing slalom and stand on top of the podium looking down on Bode in secord or third.

2 Comments:

Blogger eric said...

jeret peterson is my hero of the games.

e+

10:49 PM  
Blogger Tayden said...

isn't he the one who fell, didn't win a medan, then got drunk and punched someone in the face in the bar? Go USA

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home