Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Ah the power of youth. One day I'll be old and I'll be tired and I'll try to remember what it felt like to make girls fall in love with me and to see them smile and turn their heads and that feeling of electricity in the air that I'm sure no one can feel after 30 or so. There's so much power to being young and so few of you realize it. You won't realize until you're older and it's gone. I'm just finally coming into my own, really opening my eyes and I can't believe I've wasted so many years.

I made a new year's resolution last year. I don't make stupid resolutions about losing weight or working out. I promised myself I would learn to kiteboard. I don't live near water. I don't know much about wind. I didn't know anyone who kiteboarded. Not until two weeks ago that is. 2005 is soon to be a distant memory of blogs and LA and NYC and first true love lost and celebrities and sorority girls and snow and letting go and picking up somewhere completely new. So last week, with a four day weekend in hand, and random new set of friends in tow, we packed up a car and hit the road for 20 hours until the breeze smelled like salt, the wind blew as steady as a window fan and the water temp never dipped below 75 degrees. That, my friends, is the power of youth. That right there is what it's all about. Freedom. Pure fucking freedom.

And after 3 days I was gliding along the water, no roar of a motor boat, no nagging roommates, no lovey-eyed sorority girls. I am it. I am the american dream. And if you met me you would never know it. You would never guess all the secrets. But that's what blogger is for, right?

3 Comments:

Blogger dbhayes said...

Amen brother. Amen.

10:13 PM  
Blogger eric said...

hmmm ... sounds kind of depressing, though in some ways you might be right. i do miss having a slightly faster first step on the crossover.

but ... i'm a far better basketball player at 31 than i used to be. i also am happier and smarter and in better shape and more affluent than i was 10 or 5 years ago.

that freedom you speak of wasn't much freedom for me. it was purposelessness (i don't know if that's an actual word). i think that's the key to freedom. having purpose.

you might or might not find that to be true, but don't write your future off so soon.

just don't get married if you want to fly over the water and stuff. ;)

e+

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

30 or so, give me a break....if American men live til 76 or so, that's too many years to live with out feeling the feelings you reference or allude to. Do you really think that no one over 30 is capable? I hope you remember being this naive whenever you do hit "the big 3-0".

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home