Thursday, September 22, 2005

One of the best things about being where I've been and seeing what I've seen is that I don't ever get distracted by pretty people in glossy magazines or in make up commercials or on Vh1 specials. I don't get angry or jealous at the sorority girls when they drive by in their Audi TT convertibles with the top down and the Kelly Clarkson blaring. I don't want to be a Hollywood star or have my name on the walk of fame. I don't want to make googley eyes with that really hot girl in spinning class.

One of the worst things about being where I've been and seeing what I've seen is that it takes a whole hell of a lot to get me revved for another day in middle America. I sleep late because I don't want to deal with the world. I don't make googley eyes to girls at the gym because honestly, blondes with Abercrombie and ibooks are a dime a dozen. Working a 9 to 5 sorting through papers is ridiculous when I've seen the rockstars up close and I know the only difference between me and them are a few tatoos, a drunk father who beat them as a child and a couple more years banging around in that guitar in the garage.

I'm utterly and completely free from ever feeling like I have to live up to anything around me. But there's not a single damn thing from day to day that's gonna get me moving. That's going to make life interesting and exciting and fulfilling.

This is the point when bad things start to happen. People start smoking. People buy motorcycles. People start experimenting with special substances. People walk into parties and the first thing that comes out of their mouth is, "who here wants to make a bad decision?" Then they get in fights. They start making out with pretty girls. They start fights with pretty girls that end in make out sessions. And then they get scared and lock themselves alone in their own room to bang around on that fucking guitar until fingers are raw and vocal chords are strained.

And suddenly there isn't much difference between that rockstar and me anymore.

Chapter 3?

2 Comments:

Blogger eric said...

it's also a time when good things happen. like realizing that the things you arne't going to worry about anymore were possibly the things that obscured you from a greater revelation of the world around you.

e+

8:56 PM  
Blogger Mo said...

if you tell everyone youre a rockstar, chances are one of those girl that wants to fight will believe it.

12:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home