Tuesday, June 07, 2005

It Never Rains When You Want It To

Funny how I'm in the most superficial town working with the most superficial industry (entertainment that is, not journalism) and I'm living as simply as humbly as I have in a good long while.

I bought a queen-sized air mattress before I set out on this journey. Didn't spring for the pump. I'm full of hot air. Brought my guitar that I still really can't play. A closet full of a few nice shirts and a lot of cheap ones. A couple pairs of shoes, few still looking good and comfortably wearable. A digital camera which I haven't used to take one single picture of me since I've left. My stereo for cranking out melancholy tunes upon command. When I was a kid I used to think Melancholy meant sadness laced with happy. It's just too happy sounding to mean only sad.

The chair's borrowed. Couldn't even spring for one with 4 legs. The fabric of the laundry basket is torn beyond repair. I drank the last Rockstar in the box before work because I only got an hour or two of sleep last night. Yes I'm wearing a wife beater. No, I don't ever wear them out in public unless they're covered by something.

I'm preparing you for something stupid like, "I don't have many material possessions but the people in my life make me rich as a king." Truth is I'm not easy to love. You gotta fight for it. And I can't preach but I'll tell you what I want to do more of. I want to tell everybody how much they mean to me. My family and my friends and my old roommates and everyone who's ever given me a little nudge in the right direction. Even if they didn't mean to. And I want to fight for them whenever they need me. Cuz without the fight I'm just another lonely guy in a wifebeater lost somewhere in the city of angels.

3 Comments:

Anonymous db said...

you never cease to impress

2:13 PM  
Blogger Mo said...

yeah, fuck possessions.

5:11 PM  
Blogger eric said...

good insight ...

... but ... is that wife-beater tucked in? because if it is, i don't think you can call it a wife-beater.

e+

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home