Friday, June 17, 2005

Funny thing is they call this town the City of Angles but everyone tells you that it will steal your soul. I'm no preacher and certainly a different kind of believer but I'm pretty sure no one can steal your soul. Here in LA there aren't any soul thieves but there's someone on every street corner who'll buy it if you're in the market to sell. They're tricky cuz they try to convince you it's a pawn shop and you can just leave your soul there a couple days for safe keeping in exchange for a few nights in Hollywood on Sunset Boulevard with pretty girls on your arms and a never-ending drink in your hand while movie stars float around on the light bursting out of the paprazzi flash bulbs.

If you're weak, you're screwed. Doesn't matter what kind of smoke-and-mirrors show they put on for you. The ground will shake. You'll be in the office on the 18th floor trying to eat a late lunch and the whole place will just start swaying back and forth. An apartment a few doors down might catch on fire. Red trucks pulling up with hoses and lights and loud noise at 8 in the morning. Girls will turn their head and look right into your eyes when you walk into a bar.. And you just think about the people in the world somewhere who are thinking about you and you want them to know you are thinking about them.

If I was a musician I'd be so into re-inventing myself right now but not in the Madonna way with some stupid new outfit, in the way that I'd be finding comfort and peace in the simple rhythms and melodies that are at the heart of every song. But I'm not a musician, so in between interviewing celebs on the red carpet at movie premieres, Checking out new acts at The Viper Room and sipping drinks at all the trendy hotspots and then expensing it to work I'm reading books and searching the blogosphere for the heart and soulbloggers. The Meat and Potatoes bloggers.

The One Child Left Behind has it down so well that I feel like I'm lost somewhere in the northwest with him. Lapsus Linguae brings me to the point of tears whenever she wants and I owe her dearly for it. I know there are more of you out there. I want to find you. If I do end up sticking with this journalism thing I want Eric to be my mentor.

I'm in the most transparent city in the world where bigger faster, prettier and pricier dictate everything and all I want to do is surround myself with the kinds of people who want to slow things down, buy them in bulk and skip the pretty packaging. And just like last summer, I have nowhere to live in 6 days. It's a wave.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mo said...

i met a guy on the corner once. he was talking about souls too. he even had horns and a pitchfork...

12:19 PM  
Blogger Sylkk said...

guard your soul ~

12:39 PM  
Blogger ducklet said...

hey, thanks for the shout, dude. very cool.

i'll be honest, though, i'm still looking for those meat and potatoes bloggers, too. i'll check Lapsus out for sure.

honestly, though, i've got a lot of respect for anyone who can give it a shot in l.a. i would be on (nonprescribed) pharmaceuticals in about a day.

9:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home