Saturday, April 09, 2005

It's review day. I'll give you a two for one.

A few weeks ago I finageled my way into a free pass for a pre-screening of Sin City. The movie is cinematically intriguing. Thinking back now my brain isn't sure whether I saw a live action movie or a cartoon. But from the opening scene where Josh Hartnet offers a stunning blonde a cigarette, shoots her, and then disappears until the last 30 seconds of the movie, I knew there was something amiss. The same problem I had in the very first scene of the movie never went away. The problem was, I didn't care. I didn't care when Bruce Willis took bullets in the shoulder and was framed by his partner, I didn't care when a muscled and made-up Mickey Rourke tried to revenge a murdered girlfriend I didn't care when Clive Owen drove across town talking to a dead Benicio Del Torro.

Sin City is true to the comic books because it's devoid of any real emotion. The characters talk to you about what they're feeling but they don't really feel it. And you can't feel it. That's the reason you can watch as appendages get removed liked they're superfluous and blood flows without so much as an audience flinch.


I go to the movies because I want to connect to people. Usually that's hte minumun requirement. That's also why I watch TV. It's why if I had Tivo I would record Ed every weekday. It's why I spent my Saturday night watching back-to-back episodes of Grey's Anatomy. There are enough hospi-dramas that you probably feel like you've done your own residency. But Grey's Anatomy sits so comfortably between the intensity of ER and the laughs of Scrubs that it really makes you care. It's the first time I've watched an ABC show for as long as I can remember. The drama revolves around Dr. Grey. The show's alright. If you're a girl, you'll probably like it a lot more because the main character is a strong, caring and brilliant woman. It's predictable and it's familiar and it tries to be intense and flirty and inspiring but the thing is, it makes you care. It does what I want to do: I want it to make me feel. I want it to make mecare. That's all I want from life. Well, that and I want to ride a motorcycle really really fast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home